Thursday, March 14, 2013

BD and FP- DRA

I DRA'd my three focus students in January. I wasn't sure how much progress I would see in just a couple of months, but I was very pleased with the results.

BD
January's DRA was a level 8. He read with 95 percent accuaracy. He scored high in comprehension, but his retell took away a point. He didn't retell in order and he needed some prompting. He was able to make literal connections with the story. The story was about a dog doing tricks. His first connection was circus dogs, which I thought was funny. Then he started telling me all about his dog and that his dog doesn't do tricks.
Based on the running records from the ESL teacher and his phonics/sight word progress, I decided to test BD on level 12. He read with 93 percent accuracy, which is considered "developing". It would have been higher but he made a couple of silly errors like "mom" instead of "momma" and "is" instead of "was". When it was time for him to retell, he made a connection and said "She looks like my mom. She's going to have a baby." He is so excited to be a big brother. It's sweet. BD's retell was in order this time but I did need to prompt to get more details and the ending of the story. His comprehension scored just one point away from "independent" level.
*Next step: In the recent DRA, BD didn't use his word reading strategies. He stopped and asked what words were. I will definitely review those and make sure we practice in small groups.

FP
January's DRA level was 8 for FP. He read with 93 percent accuracy, which is developing. For "Duke" he would say "Duck" he asked how to read the word "shake", he said "back" instead of "black". Twice he left the "s" sound off of words. In small groups we practiced CVCe words and digraphs like crazy, so I was happy to see his accuracy rate improved in March to 96 percent on DRA level 12. He said "feeling" instead of "feeding". The other errors were me telling him the word. This just reinforced the fact that I MUST review word reading strategies. In January, FP retold the events in the middle of the story out of order with some prompting. In March, he retold the story in order  with one prompt. For comprehension, in January he was one point away from independent level, but his lack of reflection and connection to the story hurt him. The same with March's DRA.
*Next step: Not only do I need to work on word reading strategies, but for FP I need to help him think about the story and make connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment