Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wikki Stix data


This is what we call "Wikki Sticky Sight Words". Last week, I modeled and they practiced expectations during small group. I use their High Frequency Sight Word Lists from the Literacy First Phonics Assessment test. I typed out the words they have missed and printed them in a large font. The students have to say each letter as they make it, then read the word. This week, the students are doing this activity independently, but with an updated list of words. Once they have made all their words with the wikki stix, they have to choose one of the words to use in a sentence. Today was the first day of independent practice and it went really well.

Since we were out of school Friday, I didn't get to assess their word list. I did this Monday and I was happy with the results.
*EP gained 13 new words, but missed 6 words that she read correctly last time. This has been typical for EP. She has 10 more words to move on to List B (second grade word list) I am really excited to asses this week and see the results!
*BD gained 8 new words, but missed 4 word that he read correctly last time. BD needs 10 more words to move on to List B.
*FP gained 7 new words, but missed 7 words that he read correctly last time. FP needs 5 more words to move on to list B. Technically, he has mastered List A, but I would like for him to read all of the words correctly considering List A are 1st grade words.

2 comments:

  1. I really like these activities. You are reaching many different learning styles with tactile and spatial activities. I hope your students continue to make improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I am doing sight words too and each week I do some kind of sight word activity with them using their words from the week. I just love this idea! This week I played an I-spy game using there words and they loved it. This seems to be really engaging and a great way to include multisensory learning. By looking at the data, it seems like your students are growing, so your hard work is definitely paying off.

    ReplyDelete