Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bumpy Writing

This is the activity I introduced today. I am using this multisensory activity to practice the phonics skill for the week. They students wrote the vowel pair "ai" then traced it with their finger and said each letter then said the sound it makes. They repeated it 3 times. Then they wrote "ay" and did the same. After that we did some phonemic awareness by adding/deleting beginning and ending sounds to make new words. Tomorrow they will "bumpy write" their spelling words, which have "ai" and "ay" and trace and say them. It's called bumpy writing because writing on the screen creates a texture feel. The students had never done anything like it before and they really liked it.

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I love both of the multi-sensory activities that you have shared so far. Are you planning to use sand trays or shaving cream as one of your activities later on? I used to collab with the OT on writing goals and those were two of the activities my students enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do plan on using the sand trays, but didn't put shaving cream in my paper. I will definitely add it in thought because they really love all the activities I have taught them so far. Who wouldn't love to play in shaving cream!

    I have gotten most of my ideas from Orton Gillingham, which is a multisensory program that our special education uses. I have been able to use their activities and talk with them about how they implement the ideas in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Orton Gillingham. I am using this same thing in my groups for sight word (red word) practice. The kids love it and it is very engaging. I actually included this activity for my raw data this week that we uploaded. Have you used the dictation sheets that can also be used for vowel pairs? They are really great to and provide the students another opportunity to write words with these specific vowel pairs in them. I use them often with letters/sounds and my kids have really improved!

    ReplyDelete