Monday, March 4, 2013

Sight Word Check

It's Friday, so this morning I updated the students' sight word lists. EP didn't seem very excited about reading through the list. She complained and said, "That's a lot of words." She was suppoed to start List B, but didn't really want to. When she realized another student in the group started the list she asked how they did (because she is nosy like that) and said she would try List B. I put the list in front of her and she said,"These look hard!" She read 53/100 of the list.

While updating BD's list, he said, "I don't know this word. It's not in my Wikki Stix list." I explained because they are new words because he was starting List B. He was excited. He read 64/100 words from the list correctly.

While updating the lists, I realized I needed to have the students continue to practice the words they've mastered because they are missing some words they knew the week before. I will make a couple of sets of List A and List B sight words tot he students to practice when they finish work.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a great idea to have the students continually review their words from previous weeks. I have noticed with my Kindergarteners that if they don't have continued practice and review with their sight words weekly, they miss words that they knew the week before. An idea you could try is letting them practice with a buddy after they are done with their work. I give students their own flashcards and they can just grab those out of their book bins when they finish their work and either practice independently if no one else is finished, or practice with another student that is also done with their work. For the most part, the students stay on task and do a good job! Just an idea :) I love seeing the progress your students are making each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty upset with myself because I know better! I have always done it before but I hadn't had to mess with sight words for a few years so I was a little dusty on my "best practice". As soon as I realized what was happening I made flashcards for each list for them to review when they finish work.

      Delete
  2. Good observation about reviewing the sight words. When I taught kindergarten, we gave weekly or (once we had a lot of words under our belt) monthly cumulative word assessments. That really kept the kids accountable for past words. I like Kara's idea of practicing with a partner, that seems more fun.

    ReplyDelete